The mushroom picking kit includes a compass and a handy knife that easily cuts the stem. With such a blade it is easy and fast to clean the fungus, clear the cap of grass and algae, and cut wormholes. You can do this in the forest or when you come home with a basket full of crops.
Mushroom Picking Knife Features
New mushroom pickers prefer large universal knives or failed old rusty blades. A failed device can damage the mycelium, so next year a new family will not grow in that place, and dust or rust particles can accumulate on the product and then on your table.
It is easy to cope with the main task of a Mushroom Chef knives sets– cutting, not breaking the stalk directly on the ground without extra effort
The classic mushroom chef knife set model has the following design features:
- a smooth cutting edge (so that the cut is perfectly even);
- straight or concave in the center of the blade;
- small size (about 10 cm);
- Absence of unnecessary joints and screws so that contamination does not accumulate;
- pointed tip (for cleaning and cutting holes);
- Pear-shaped or corrugated handle for a comfortable grip, with a non-slip surface;
- Manufacturing materials are moisture resistant;
- The blade is sharp and hard and does not need to be sharpened for long.
Since you will be working with the knife in high humidity conditions, the wear resistance of the blade deserves special attention. High carbon alloys are sensitive to moisture and stainless steels dull quickly and require frequent dressing and sharpening. It is worth noting the “golden mean” – the selection of steel blades with alloy components: chromium, molybdenum, vanadium, and others. This requirement is met by Japanese steels of the middle price category AUS-8 and premium class – VG-10. In the product catalog of the knife & knives online store, you will find a wide selection of knives made of steel AUS-8 and VG-10.
Mushroom chef knife sets can be curved or have a fixed blade. The choice depends on the mushroom picker’s personal preferences. In general, it is believed that with a large number of mushrooms it is worth taking a fixed blade so that you do not need to constantly open and close the folding mechanism. Since there is a heavy basket in hand, it is not practical to do this with one hand. A fixed-blade knife should be equipped with a sheath to prevent accidental cuts when carrying the product in a pocket or hanging from clothes.
When choosing a knife
When choosing a knife, pay attention to the type of binding of the blade. The stick should enter the handle at least half its length, or better yet, it should pass through the entire length of the handle. This type of fastening is the most reliable and reduces the risk of the knife breaking when picking mushrooms.
How to maintain a mushroom chef knife set
To keep the blade serving faithfully for a long time and not losing edge sharpness and straightness, follow these simple maintenance recommendations:
- Before sending it into the forest, check the sharpness, if necessary, pre-sharpen or correct the blade.
- When harvesting mushrooms, clean off the remaining leaves and regularly clean the dirt with a rag so that the cut edge has less contact with moisture.
- After using the knife, please wash it by hand, and clean and dry it.
- Periodically lubricate the knife with special oil to extend its service life (especially before long-term storage).
It is not necessary to buy a knife to look for mushrooms, it is written “mushroom” in its specialty. If a tourist or kitchen knife meets the above criteria, it is quite suitable for forest harvesting. Mushroom pickers often use pressed knives for these purposes, focusing mainly on the high quality of the blade, the sharpness of the blade, and the ability to keep the edge longer. These blades conform to the shape of a mushroom chef knife set, allowing you to easily and precisely cut the legs and quickly clean the mushrooms for later cooking.
Read Other: HOW CAN YOU PURCHASE YOUR MODERN KITCHEN SINKS?